I’m waiting for several things right now, first and foremost of which is some news on Meadow’s biopsy. She had a lump removed this past Thursday, which was suspected of being a mast cell tumor, and I’m anxiously awaiting the lab results.
The second thing I’m waiting on might take a while. On Thursday the 12th, I attended my very first pitch session to try and find an agent for my new novel, and I did get some requests, but whether they will like my work, (and not just my pitch), remains to be seen. Either way, my manuscript is “out there” and I’m waiting to hear back from these wonderful agents, something that I understand may take weeks to months.
I’m also waiting for some inspiration. Now that the above mentioned novel – the thing that occupied most of my free time for the past year and a half – is finally finished, it’s time for me to move on. But the question is – “To what?” I started a short story, didn’t really love it, and stopped half way through. One of the agents I pitched suggested that my novel had series potential, and at first I said, “No way.” But after mulling it over, I think she might be right. I started outlining book two, but I don’t think I should spend any time working on it – unless I actually sell book one. I also have a vague idea for a completely different novel that’s been on my mind, but the plot is only partially formed, and not ready to put down on paper. And finally, I had planned to rewrite my memoir about my experiences with Toby, but I realized it needs a lot of revision, (my writing style has changed drastically from when I first wrote it), and I’m not sure I’m up for the task.
While I’m waiting on all of the above, I figured I’d take the time to acknowledge a recent award that I received from a “new to me – but no less appealing” blog called Dogs N Pawz. Upon checking out Lisa’s blog, I learned that she is also a retriever lover and shares her life with two Labs, Shiloh and Scout, along with Ash the Chessie, and a Lab-Dane mix named Teddy – and I look forward to going back to explore her site some more.
As for the reward Lisa gave me, it’s called the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award, and these are the rules taken straight from Lisa’s post:
1) Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them in your post. This one’s a no brainer, (unless you are really rude), but thank you Lisa from Dogs N Pawz – it’s nice to meet you and your retrievers!
2) Share 7 things about yourself. If you’ve been following my blog for a bit, you probably know most of the information I’m about to share, but it is a good way to introduce newer readers to me and the dogs, (which is really the purpose of all these great blogger awards – isn’t it?), so here goes:
- I worry. About everything.
- All of my dogs, past and present, are rescues, and I always try to encourage others to consider adopting their four legged friends.
- I prefer to use positive reinforcement only to train my dogs, mostly due to a horrific experience with my first dog, Harley.
- My current dogs have had very bad luck in the health department, especially since last fall, and it seems that someone around here is always sick.
- Despite that, I have been considering adopting a fourth dog, and have occasionally been looking online for that dog, which Pamela from Something Wagging This Way Comes hilariously coined as searching through “Puppy Porn.”
- If I do decide to adopt a fourth, I am going to be very choosy this time around because I hope to find a dog suitable for therapy work and will be searching for very specific qualities in my next companion.
- Another thing I would like to do at some point in the future is to foster dogs, but right now we have a full house, (and a very small house at that), and I don’t think having strange dogs constantly coming in and out would be the ideal situation for our household.
3) Nominate five bloggers to receive the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! I had a really tough time with this, as there are so many wonderful blogs that I visit regularly, including Pamela’s blog which I mentioned above, (good way to sneak in a sixth blog, eh?), and I found it very difficult to narrow it down to only five. But I’ve somehow done it, and I’ve decided to pass this award on to these wonderful bloggers (listed in alphabetical order by the author’s first name):
Jen from Back Alley Soapbox
Jodi from Jodistone
Kristine from Rescued Insanity
Lauren from Life with Desmond
Leslie from Bringing up Bella
I chose these bloggers for a variety of reasons, but they are each either talented writers, great entertainers, dedicated to their causes, or in some cases, a bit of everything. And most importantly, they are all devoted to their dogs. If you haven’t already been to their sites, I urge you to go check all of them out.
Go on now. What are you waiting for?